Wednesday, December 31, 2008

One Last Bit of Excitement for 2008

I really wanted to end 2008 with a bang, but I think I went too far!  Actually, though it wasn't as much a bang as it was a "THUNK"!!  I was preparing an awesome dinner (Rachael Ray's South by Southwest Sliders and oven fries) for my really great family and slicing some sweet onions to caramelize, when the amazingly sharp knife slipped off the onion and right into my index finger. YIKES!  Sudden bursts of pain and blood surged simultaneously and I was done.  I'm a total wimp and can't do blood.  After the color returned to my face and I wiped the clammy sweat from my forehead (thanks for your help Mom and Dad) our super-duper-Doctor-friend-neighbor made a New Years Eve house call (thanks, Karl) and fixed me up.  He told me I didn't need stitches and was lucky I hadn't severed the important nerve - it has a more technical name, but my head was down on the kitchen table when he said the name of it and I don't remember.  So, no multi hour wait in the ER.  No needles.  Woo hoo!  Even though I can't bend it, probably can't work on my knitting project for a few days, can't type very well and can't get it wet, I'm lucky it's my left hand, and my sweet husband and great parents have stepped in and finished making dinner and will take over what I can't do.                                                                                 
Photos. . .


Awesome bandaging job.

Jon made me a splint from a popsicle stick - which we amazingly had sitting on the kitchen counter from Molly making cookies on a stick a couple days ago!!

The patient is resting quietly.


1 comment:

Kristi Clinger said...

Not exactly the way I would want to end the year either. That stinks. I hope the New Year has a better start for you.